Posts from Barbara Bingham
- Going on Pilgrimage Everyday
- Inner Renewal for Twenty Eleven
- Happy New Year 2011
- Christ Lives Oratorio in Los Angeles
- A Weekend at Ananda LA
- Harvest Day 2010
- Ananda Los Angeles
- The Peace Treaty 2010
- Spiritual Renewal Week 2010
- July 4th Celebration Photo Album
- Seeking the Light
- Delighted, no end…
- Cold Hands, Warm Heart
- Celebrating Yogananda’s Mahasamadhi 2010
- God’s Plans
- Inner Renewal Week 2010
- Springtime at Ananda
- Swami Kriyananda at Forest Lawn
- Swami Kriyananda at the Ford Theater
- 61 Years of Discipleship
- Spiritual Renewal Week 2009, Part 4: The Banquet
- Spiritual Renewal Week 2009, Pt.3
- Spiritual Renewal Week 2009, Pt.2
- Spiritual Renewal Week 2009, Pt.1
- An Ananda Wedding
- The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita
- July 4th Celebration, part 2
- 4th of July Weekend Celebration Pt. 1
- Gearing Up for a Special Summer
- Spring at Crystal Hermitage Gardens
- Fall at Ananda 2008
- An Afternoon of Gratitude
- Happy Anniversary, Swamiji!
- A Wonderful Week at Ananda
- The Peace Treaty 2008
- The Talks!
- Spiritual Renewal Week 2008, Evening Concert
- Spiritual Renewal Week 2008
- Thank you, Los Angeles!
- Thank you, Palo Alto!
- Swami Kriyananda Speaks in the Bay Area
- Christ Lives
- “There is joy in the heavens”
- Sunday Service with Swami Kriyananda
- Swami Kriyananda’s Birthday Celebration #2
- Swami Kriyananda’s birthday celebration #1
- Swami Kriyananda Arrives at Ananda Village
- Swami Kriyananda is back in the U.S.
- Lots of Fun Things
- Where there is love there is peace…
- World Brotherhood Day
- Fall at Ananda
- Spiritual Music
- Peace Day 2007
- Babaji Krishna Celebration
- Spiritual Renewal Week
- Evenings at Ananda
- The Jewel in the Lotus
The Jewel in the Lotus
July 21st, 2007
Hello from Southern California. This is the week for the launch of Swami Kriyananda’s book, Revelations of Christ. There were two special events on Wednesday and Thursday night. The Jewel in the Lotus was performed in Encinitas at the Seaside Center for Spiritual Living and in Malibu at the Malibu High School. Both were great venues hosted by wonderful souls.
Each time I watch the performance of the Jewel in the Lotus I am impressed, inspired and awestruck by the beauty of the words and the story they tell.
There isn’t a wasted word in this play. It masterfully portrays the journey of the soul from self involvement to the deep desire to return to it’s home in God. Through humor and accessible poetic wording, Swami Kriyananda opens our hearts and minds to the sweet longing of the soul for God. Tim Kretzmann did a wonderful job portraying a man whose “heart was a stone” and through his association with the storyteller found devotion and longing for God stirring in his heart. Jyotish’s portrayal of the Storyteller reminds us that no matter what our past contains the guru’s love is always there for us. I think every one of us watching the play feels the longing for God deepening in our own hearts.
Before the Malibu performance Swamiji stated, “I hope you can feel my devotion and sincerity in this play”. Through the performance and deep sincerity of the presentation I think everyone in the audience could feel Swami’s devotion and feel their own devotion deepening. In both the Encinitas and Malibu performance there was such a stillness in the audience. The actors stated the depth of their performance was partly inspired by what was being drawn out of them.
So, I thank Swami Kriyananda for his beautiful words and their ability to rekindle, re-inspire, and fan the flames of our devotion. I thank the actors for their devotion to the play—its message and spirit.