Posts from David Eby
- Wishing You a Noble New Year
- The Light and the Bushel
- Also Starring God (as Himself)
- The Moments that Changed Everything
- The Fine Balance of Health and Lifestyle
- The Meditation Experiment
- The Better Devotees: Cats or Dogs?
- Sharing the Inner Presence of Ananda
- Day 5 of filming Cities of Light
- Day 4 on the set
- Day 3 on the set of Cities of Light
- Cities of Light Day 2 of filming
- Day 1 on the Set of Cities of Light
- An Extraodinary Meeting
- The Oratorio Experience
- Renunciation, Poverty Consciousness, and True Prosperity
- An Experiment in Unmitigated Happiness
- Untangling My Karma
- Contentment vs. Complacency
- The Spiritual Benefits of Juice Fasting
- Ananda Christmas Album Preview
- 33 Songs on Video!
- “Never despair, joy’s everywhere…”
- Spiritual Renewal Week Concert, 2011
- Caitlin and the Newborn Fawn
- Bliss in the Midst of Fatigue
- Honoring Good Friday in Dwapara Yuga
- “Open Your Heart to Me…”
- Master’s Market: A true test of community
- A Time of Awakening
- Resonating with Swami Kriyananda
- Leading With Joy
- The Surprising Consequence of Negativity
- Backstage with Swami Kriyananda
- Monday’s Concert
- Chanting Is Half the Battle
- “If you want to get to know me…”
- What Kind of Christians Are We?
- Inner Renewal Week Concert Recordings
- Musical Gems from a Blessed Month
- Living for God…with a Family
- 16 Yogis in an Elevator
- God God God
- O, Master
- Life Mantra
- “Eyes Filled with Divine Love”
- The Sacred Art of Singing
- Winter Renewal Week
- The Choice of Realities
- Tuesday’s Recording Session
- Overcoming a Karmic Bomb
- Ananda Concert Series – Grande Finale
- Living Wisdom School Christmas Concert
- Inner Awakenings: a Concert
- An Evening with St. Francis
- School Begins!
- The Spirit within the Music
- Recording Revelations of Christ Audio Book
- Entering the Aura of Swami Kriyananda
The Spiritual Benefits of Juice Fasting
January 6th, 2012
A few months ago my wife and I watched an inspiring documentary called “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead” which prompted us to take on the challenge of an extended juice fast. I had no idea what to expect, except from what I had experienced doing Yogananda’s Nine Day Cleanse (also highly recommended!) many years ago. We opened our new juicer on Christmas, tried it out that evening, and on Dec 26th, began our journey.
In the past 11 days, we have juiced pounds and pounds of fresh vegetables and fruits, including chard, kale, spinach, beets and beet greens, cabbage, carrots, fennel, apples, pears, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, celery, parsley, cilantro, lemons, oranges, cranberries, ginger, and grapefruit, in many different and delicious combinations.
The first few days were of course the most difficult, as all of my energy was being directed towards healing and cleansing. Already, however, I felt a deep sense of calmness descending upon me. In my meditations, I found my breath becoming naturally slower, due to the slower metabolism during the fast. My digestive system, usually running on high demand, was getting a very well deserved break.
I’ll admit that there were times where I felt a little spacey and had a hard time trying to remember what day it was. I was having a hard time staying warm, and the thoughts of eating were sometimes quite strong. However, my restless mental habits were beginning to slow as well, with very positive benefits. My habits of worry and anxiety slowed to a stop, and I was able to go very deep into the stillness of meditation. I was quite astonished to see how little negativity clung to my thought patterns, and began to feel the barriers between myself and the world of nature beginning to dissolve.
After 11 days, I’m returning slowly to the world of eating, and truly hoping to incorporate this ancient practice of fasting more routinely into my life. I’ve lost a few pounds (other people have lost more), but my consciousness needs all the help I can get, so I’m going to try to keep as clear as possible in what I eat in this next year without becoming too over-zealous.
Here is a quote from Yogananda that came at just the right time for me:
Make new determinations as to what you are going to do and what you are going to be in this next year. Set a program for yourself; carry it through, and you will find how much happier you will be. Failure to keep to your schedule of improvement means you have paralyzed your will. You have no greater friend and no greater enemy than yourself. If you befriend yourself, you will find accomplishment. There is no law of God preventing you from being what you want to be and accomplishing what you want to accomplish. Nothing detrimental that happens can affect you unless you sanction it.
May God bless you all in this new year!