Day 1 on the Set of Cities of Light
July 28th, 2012
There is a tangible presence of God on the set here, as I step into my role for the film, Cities of Light. I had no idea what to expect from this process, and what a process it is! A few nights ago I couldn’t sleep, as I knew my life was heading into a complete unknown.
The film itself is a docudrama, with a fictitious journalist, Juliet, assigned to come and see if communities like Ananda are really a solution to the challenges we face in the world today. I play myself, and am Juliet’s first introduction to Ananda, and serve as her “tour guide” throughout her stay. She meets Swami Kriyananda twice, as well as Jyotish and Devi and others from Ananda in her investigation into why Ananda is so successful.
The day began at 7:00 AM, as the whole crew and cast (numbering around 40 at least) converged onto Crystal Hermitage. I headed into makeup and wardrobe, and then began shooting a scene where Juliet and I walk down the path to the Crystal Hermitage Chapel.
Now the interesting thing about this film is that we are not going strictly by script – my answers to Juliet’s questions are coming from my own experience, how I would say them. Freeing in one way, but challenging in another, as I have a hard time remembering exactly what I said from take to take, or trusting the flow of my own dialogue.
Next we moved down to Swami’s lower garden, where Juliet has her first interview. I’m in the scene, but don’t speak, which was quite a relief. Swami did fabulously, and they got much more than what they were looking for. Elisabeth Rohm, the actress playing Juliet, is very very appreciative to be in the film, is very resonant to Swami Kriyananda’s vibration, and is quickly becoming a great friend.
After lunch we filmed her entrance into Crystal Hermitage, with limited words from me (phew!), and an interior scene in the Chapel. Right now we are waiting for them to finish setting up the “master shot” for the interview with Swami, which is the wide angle shots (the mornings were closeups). Swamiji is completely natural, and is a wonderful model for me, very informal and unworried about little things that creep into natural speech. Time for me to let go of my Virgo nature of trying to say just the right thing, just the right way, with just the right inflection. My dear friend Asha was very helpful in reminding me that if I sound like I’m just reciting a prerecorded speech, that it will be laughable indeed!
So, I go into my spine, feel the inspiration for the scene, visualize our blocking, and feel the vibration of what is to be conveyed. An interesting process, and one that enables me to best tune into the flow of Divine grace that is, for me, tangibly present.
Everyone is happy with the flow of the shoot, which is not without challenges, and seem to be happy to be in such an idyllic setting. I just saw some of the shots on an iPad, and the footage shows Crystal Hermitage in a most amazing light, with sweeping, panoramic views.
We’re all extremely interested to see the flow of the film takes for itself, and as Ted, the director said, it’s like grabbing onto a rolling freight train and holding on for two weeks!
Posts from David Eby
- Wishing You a Noble New Year
- The Light and the Bushel
- Also Starring God (as Himself)
- The Moments that Changed Everything
- The Fine Balance of Health and Lifestyle
- The Meditation Experiment
- The Better Devotees: Cats or Dogs?
- Sharing the Inner Presence of Ananda
- Day 5 of filming Cities of Light
- Day 4 on the set
- Day 3 on the set of Cities of Light
- Cities of Light Day 2 of filming
- Day 1 on the Set of Cities of Light
- An Extraodinary Meeting
- The Oratorio Experience
- Renunciation, Poverty Consciousness, and True Prosperity
- An Experiment in Unmitigated Happiness
- Untangling My Karma
- Contentment vs. Complacency
- The Spiritual Benefits of Juice Fasting
- Ananda Christmas Album Preview
- 33 Songs on Video!
- “Never despair, joy’s everywhere…”
- Spiritual Renewal Week Concert, 2011
- Caitlin and the Newborn Fawn
- Bliss in the Midst of Fatigue
- Honoring Good Friday in Dwapara Yuga
- “Open Your Heart to Me…”
- Master’s Market: A true test of community
- A Time of Awakening
- Resonating with Swami Kriyananda
- Leading With Joy
- The Surprising Consequence of Negativity
- Backstage with Swami Kriyananda
- Monday’s Concert
- Chanting Is Half the Battle
- “If you want to get to know me…”
- What Kind of Christians Are We?
- Inner Renewal Week Concert Recordings
- Musical Gems from a Blessed Month
- Living for God…with a Family
- 16 Yogis in an Elevator
- God God God
- O, Master
- Life Mantra
- “Eyes Filled with Divine Love”
- The Sacred Art of Singing
- Winter Renewal Week
- The Choice of Realities
- Tuesday’s Recording Session
- Overcoming a Karmic Bomb
- Ananda Concert Series – Grande Finale
- Living Wisdom School Christmas Concert
- Inner Awakenings: a Concert
- An Evening with St. Francis
- School Begins!
- The Spirit within the Music
- Recording Revelations of Christ Audio Book
- Entering the Aura of Swami Kriyananda