Thanksgiving Letter from Paramhansa Yogananda
November 20th, 2009
Every day should be a day of Thanksgiving for all the gifts of Life — sunshine, water, the luscious fruits and greens, which we receive as indirect gifts from the Great Giver.
He makes us work so that we may consciously and thankfully deserve to receive His Gifts.
The All-Sufficient One does not need the benefit of our thankful hearts, but when we are grateful to the Fountain of all gifts, our attention is concentrated for our own highest benefit upon the only Great Source of all supply.
He alone can unfailingly, un-deceivingly bestow upon us the lasting gifts of wisdom, abundance, and spiritual treasures without the confinement of any mundane measure.
There are millions of people today who are drunk with egotism, who think that they keep themselves alive because they feed themselves with their self-earned magic gold of delusion.
They never stop to think that man can neither make a grain of wheat, nor a leaf of green, nor the illusory, glittering, yellow gold, nor the paper and ink of which greenbacks are made.
Neither can he create first life independently of God — the life that gives power to the precious green papers.
For these people, Thanksgiving Day, although soiled with the blood of unthankful turkeys, is a great day of awakening. It is a day of thinking of the most important and the most forgotten Molder of our Destiny.
Millions of people who eat turkey forget to thank God at all, and think more of the turkey than of God. But many of you could thank God in meditation more consciously while munching on the meat of peace, than while dipping your lips in the gravy and the flavor-camouflaged flesh of a turkey, where once sensitiveness guarded the throne of Life.
If you eat turkey, be sure to stuff it with the best Bliss-spiced dressing of thankful remembrance of God and His highest gifts of wisdom, peace, and power to accomplish.
And thank God that you are not the turkey, to be used for the festivity of Thanksgiving!
Anyway, don’t mind my sympathy for the turkey, for I am more sympathetic toward you, who are superior to the turkey.
God is waiting to hear your unceasing knock of devotion so that He can open the Gates of Omnipresence to receive you. Whether you eat turkey or not does not matter if you will only knock hard with devotion on the doors of your heart.
Make every day a day of Thanksgiving, and continuous contentment will sparkle in your body, mind, and soul. Be sure to search for the all-freeing God from now on, until you find Him on the brink of unceasing seeking.
Letter to Students and Friends, Inner Culture, November 1934
- Praise Ye the Lord song by Swami Kriyananda, performed by Ananda Singers:praise-ye-the-lord.mp3
Posts from Guest Authors
- Evening Hospice
- The Power of Giving
- I Live at Ananda Village: How I Got Here and What I Have Found
- Christmas in Pune 2012
- Ananda Goes to New Zealand
- A Letter from Asha: New Zealand Tour
- Reaching the Mountaintop in Meditation
- The Secret of Happiness
- Three and a Half Lessons from a Nine-Day Seclusion
- Herb Jeffries in Memoriam
- Death and Dying
- Spirit Warriors: Adventures of Inner Growth for Young Girls
- 7 Years to Heal
- Pipe Down and Crack On
- A Day On The Farm
- Trail of Beauty
- Learning to Love God 10 Times a Minute!
- Sign Me Up!
- God Cares More Than We Imagine
- Highlights from Ananda Farm Apprentices at Ananda Village
- Young Adults of Ananda: An Interview with Kamran Matlock
- News of Swami Kriyananda
- Who Was Mary?
- Take Two: Shooting Videos with Swami Kriyananda
- News of Ananda Pune, India
- “The Channel Is Blessed…”
- Swami Kriyananda at the Yoga Festival in Rome
- Launch of Original Autobiography of a Yogi in Italian
- Ananda Kriya Retreat in Massachusetts
- Master, I Love You Alone
- Retreat with Swami Kriyananda at Ananda India, Pune
- Through the Grace of God
- Building Ananda in Mexico
- Thanksgiving Letter from Paramhansa Yogananda
- A Precious Gift
- Swami Kriyananda’s Birthday Celebration in Assisi, Italy
- Crystal Hermitage Gardens Tour
- Ananda India Youth Campout and Retreat
- Ananda Community in India
- Joy Is Within You: Ananda Village Entry Sign
- My Visit to Ananda Village
- A Tale of Three Villages
- Revelations of Christ Book Launch in Rome
- It Was A Dark And Stormy Night
- Ananda’s Spanish Ministry
- Sweet Seclusion
- Treasures Along The Path Talk-of-the-Month Club
- Ananda Solar Technologies
- Japanese Embrace Ananda
- Spirituality in Education
- The Man Behind the Camera
- Back to School: Ananda’s Education for Life System
- The Miracle of Ananda Seattle Temple of Light
- The Miracle of Ananda Sacramento Mandir