Spirituality in Education
September 17th, 2007
“Spiritual education” is still a new concept for most people. Many adults are only too familiar with the superficially related, but fundamentally different term of “religious education.”
The indoctrination and coercion embedded in this latter approach drove many people away from any form of religious practice. Their reaction has often resulted in an unwillingness to share any higher principles with today’s children.
We see the unfortunate consequences of this approach in the heartrending statistics on teenage drug use, sexuality, violence, and even suicide. In 1925 Paramhansa Yogananda wrote an article titled “The Balanced Life:”
Educational authorities deem it impossible to teach spiritual principles in public schools because they confuse them with the variety of conflicting forms of religious faiths.
But if they concentrate on the universal principles of peace, love, service, tolerance and faith that govern the spiritual life, and devise methods of practically growing such seeds in the fertile soil of the child’s mind, then the imaginary difficulty is dissolved.
It is the greatest mistake to ignore this problem just because it is seemingly difficult.
The basic principles of our approach, as outlined in the book by Swami Kriyananda, emphasize the need for helping children develop four main “Tools of Maturity:”
· The body
Through working with feelings comes the ability to redirect harmful emotions such as anger, jealousy, and greed into peace, contentment, and the willingness to share.
Finally, the intellect can be cultivated in conjunction with the other three tools to produce clear, creative, solution-minded thinking instead of fact-heavy ruminations or unproductive theorizing.
Imagine starting your adult life with these skills already intact!
Over the years we have added a high school in 1997 and a college in 2003, in addition to other elementary schools in Palo Alto, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Encinitas, and Assisi, Italy.
Posts from Guest Authors
- First Meeting
- Mt. Tabor, Nazareth, Meggido, Tzfat, Jerusalem
- Rome, Bethlehem and Galilee
- Overcoming the Unwillingness Monster
- How to Handle Spiritual Tests
- Divine Remembrance
- God: A Poem
- Can Karma Be Good?
- Practicing Contentment
- Evening Hospice
- The Power of Giving
- I Live at Ananda Village: How I Got Here and What I Have Found
- Christmas in Pune 2012
- Ananda Goes to New Zealand
- A Letter from Asha: New Zealand Tour
- Reaching the Mountaintop in Meditation
- The Secret of Happiness
- Three and a Half Lessons from a Nine-Day Seclusion
- Herb Jeffries in Memoriam
- Death and Dying
- Spirit Warriors: Adventures of Inner Growth for Young Girls
- 7 Years to Heal
- Pipe Down and Crack On
- A Day On The Farm
- Trail of Beauty
- Learning to Love God 10 Times a Minute!
- Sign Me Up!
- God Cares More Than We Imagine
- Highlights from Ananda Farm Apprentices at Ananda Village
- Young Adults of Ananda: An Interview with Kamran Matlock
- News of Swami Kriyananda
- Who Was Mary?
- Take Two: Shooting Videos with Swami Kriyananda
- News of Ananda Pune, India
- “The Channel Is Blessed…”
- Swami Kriyananda at the Yoga Festival in Rome
- Launch of Original Autobiography of a Yogi in Italian
- Ananda Kriya Retreat in Massachusetts
- Master, I Love You Alone
- Retreat with Swami Kriyananda at Ananda India, Pune
- Through the Grace of God
- Building Ananda in Mexico
- Thanksgiving Letter from Paramhansa Yogananda
- A Precious Gift
- Swami Kriyananda’s Birthday Celebration in Assisi, Italy
- Crystal Hermitage Gardens Tour
- Ananda India Youth Campout and Retreat
- Ananda Community in India
- Joy Is Within You: Ananda Village Entry Sign
- My Visit to Ananda Village
- A Tale of Three Villages
- Revelations of Christ Book Launch in Rome
- It Was A Dark And Stormy Night
- Ananda’s Spanish Ministry
- Sweet Seclusion
- Ananda Solar Technologies
- Japanese Embrace Ananda
- Spirituality in Education
- The Man Behind the Camera
- Back to School: Ananda’s Education for Life System
- The Miracle of Ananda Seattle Temple of Light
- The Miracle of Ananda Sacramento Mandir