Young Adults of Ananda: An Interview with Kamran Matlock
July 27th, 2011
Question: How did you become interested in following the spiritual path?
Answer: I was interested in consciousness, and wanted to know how to use more of my brain and unlock the potentials of body and mind. I got into the Indian philosophy when I read Autobiography of a Yogi. I wanted to do a meditation retreat, so I went to the Living with Spirit summer camp.
In the Ananda Village vibration, I felt deeply connected to this path and eventually moved here because I saw that it was the best thing for my spiritual life.
Question: What is going on at Ananda? Why are you here?
Answer: I am here to learn more about yoga and meditation from people who have been practicing it for a long time, and to participate in the new generation that is uplifting the world through meditation and spiritual practices.
I feel that the people here are being trained to be spiritual leaders and start different types of communities around the world in order to get more in touch with nature and simple, sustainable living.
Question: How is living in community changing you?
Answer: It can be challenging when there is a lot of extra service asked of you but it brings out your highest potential because you are constantly growing and the people here are always looking out for your best interest.
My meditations have gotten longer and deeper. I understand more what service means and how to serve people without expecting anything in return. I don’t get anxious or angry anymore because I’m learning to stay focused on the task at hand.
Question: What are some major benefits? Challenges?
Answer: There is no room in my schedule for moods, unwillingness or negativity. This can be hard when those things inevitably come up but there is constant support and understanding here so it’s really an ideal place to get honest feedback and learn from your mistakes. You learn how to better yourself in a gentle but efficient way so that you realize your highest potentials.
In comparison to a life in the city, I’d say that it is easier to reach higher potentials within yourself because of all the support in that direction.
Question: Do you enjoy group living?
Answer: I didn’t at first but I do now. Even though I prefer to live alone I see that group living is beneficial for getting over your selfish tendencies and not getting stuck in your head by constantly thinking about your own problems.
Question: Do you have any inspiring stories of your experience here?
Answer: Two people visited Ananda Village for the Living with Spirit communities program in order to learn more about how to create their own community based on high principles as well as sustainable living. They had lost their jobs and savings, coming here with all their possessions in the car. They weren’t worried about finances or where they would live because they were so focused on creating a community that would help many people. They were very inspired by what is going on here and have now begun to gather resources to create a community according to this model.
In this environment they both had spiritual breakthroughs that clarified their intentions and helped them understand how important spiritual teachings were for people living together in community.
Question: What are the people like here that have lived this life for many years?
Answer: They are very real. They don’t address the parts of you that are looking for flattery or self gratification. They help you recognize the parts in you that are genuine and sincere. They demonstrate deep spiritual principles is even the most mundane activities. They are simple people who are friendly to all.
Question: How is service essential to your path in life?
Answer: It is really the only way to know that other people’s happiness is necessary to your own.
Posts from Guest Authors
- Evening Hospice
- The Power of Giving
- I Live at Ananda Village: How I Got Here and What I Have Found
- Christmas in Pune 2012
- Ananda Goes to New Zealand
- A Letter from Asha: New Zealand Tour
- Reaching the Mountaintop in Meditation
- The Secret of Happiness
- Three and a Half Lessons from a Nine-Day Seclusion
- Herb Jeffries in Memoriam
- Death and Dying
- Spirit Warriors: Adventures of Inner Growth for Young Girls
- 7 Years to Heal
- Pipe Down and Crack On
- A Day On The Farm
- Trail of Beauty
- Learning to Love God 10 Times a Minute!
- Sign Me Up!
- God Cares More Than We Imagine
- Highlights from Ananda Farm Apprentices at Ananda Village
- Young Adults of Ananda: An Interview with Kamran Matlock
- News of Swami Kriyananda
- Who Was Mary?
- Take Two: Shooting Videos with Swami Kriyananda
- News of Ananda Pune, India
- “The Channel Is Blessed…”
- Swami Kriyananda at the Yoga Festival in Rome
- Launch of Original Autobiography of a Yogi in Italian
- Ananda Kriya Retreat in Massachusetts
- Master, I Love You Alone
- Retreat with Swami Kriyananda at Ananda India, Pune
- Through the Grace of God
- Building Ananda in Mexico
- Thanksgiving Letter from Paramhansa Yogananda
- A Precious Gift
- Swami Kriyananda’s Birthday Celebration in Assisi, Italy
- Crystal Hermitage Gardens Tour
- Ananda India Youth Campout and Retreat
- Ananda Community in India
- Joy Is Within You: Ananda Village Entry Sign
- My Visit to Ananda Village
- A Tale of Three Villages
- Revelations of Christ Book Launch in Rome
- It Was A Dark And Stormy Night
- Ananda’s Spanish Ministry
- Sweet Seclusion
- Treasures Along The Path Talk-of-the-Month Club
- Ananda Solar Technologies
- Japanese Embrace Ananda
- Spirituality in Education
- The Man Behind the Camera
- Back to School: Ananda’s Education for Life System
- The Miracle of Ananda Seattle Temple of Light
- The Miracle of Ananda Sacramento Mandir