Sign Me Up!
January 4th, 2012
An affirmation is a statement of truth which one aspires to absorb into his life. It has been said that we are what we eat. It would be truer to say, “We are what we think.”
September 15, 2011. Where was I?… Glued to my computer screen, of course! A new gem had been added overnight to Ananda’s frontpage: “Economic Collapse, A Solution. By Swami Kriyananda.” My heart danced a jig… and it kept on dancing…
…For at least a month, wherever I was, there was that idea Swami suggested swimming around in my mind. About charity… that governments should launch propoganda campaigns to “[encourage] people to help their neighbors, not only themselves. Posters could urge people to consider all the ways that, in helping others, they are also helping themselves…”
Driving in Atlanta traffic I imagined a billboard over the highway with the words: “No dreaming is ever too high!” Or, the Family Services office with messages on the wall such as: “I am moving forward to a consciousness of Abundance and Compassion.” I thought about messages in the financial district that might read: “I seek happiness in giving of myself.”
As I watched the Occupy movements across the country — I was inspired by the beautiful awakening of aspects of unity consciousness — of recognition of our Divine origin, of what I perceived as a response to the Age of Energy. It echoed, in some ways, my own inner cry for spiritual truth. But I also noticed all the variety of levels of consciousness and how one negative or angry voice could so easily drown out the many positive. So I posted the signs idea on the Occupy Atlanta Facebook page. Immediately two enthusiastic people responded and before I knew it I was inviting people to an event called “Dare to be Free: Signs to Uplift Consciousness.”
I photocopied lists of short quotations from Swamiji and Master, and took a book called Fire In The Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual Optimism (that literally fell into my lap that morning at a coffee shop as I was asking Divine Mother for confirmation) and I headed down to the park. I watched people’s faces as they read the quotations — as they brought them to life with paint — as they owned the sign they created — as they shared with each other.
We repeated this event the following weekend at another more “neighborhoody” park. It was a great exercise in facilitating neighbors meeting neighbors and identifying with each other from the inside out. We were so excited by the support that we decided to hang up a few of the signs so the neighbors could enjoy their work. Two minutes later some angry young men whizzed by in their pickup truck and yanked the sign down…yelling “Stuuupid!” out their window. I felt their energy blow past me. I stood their for a minute in the street with my twine… and a great big laugh just flew out of my stomach and I thought of something I had just read in Swami’s The Art and Science of Raja Yoga:
Spiritual progress comes not so much by learning to cope with the world as by learning not to depend on the world.
In retrospect, this activity was an outward expression of joy at the recognition of God in me, in everyone, in everything that had been building over time. A week or so later it left me scratching my head, “How could it have been that I passed so many years and even lifetimes in such ignorance?” So… I opened up my Raja Yoga book, read the next chapter — about the importance of directing one’s energy inward rather than outward, then happily sat down to meditate, so that I may never, ever lose my beloved again.
Posts from Guest Authors
- Reaching the Mountaintop in Meditation
- Stay in Tune!
- The Secret of Happiness
- Spiritual Discrimination: From Burning Man to Baby
- Three and a Half Lessons from a Nine-Day Seclusion
- Herb Jeffries in Memoriam
- Death and Dying
- Spirit Warriors: Adventures of Inner Growth for Young Girls
- 7 Years to Heal
- Spiritual Christmas
- Pipe Down and Crack On
- Reminiscences of Swami Kriyananda
- Expanding Love in Marriage
- A Day On The Farm
- Trail of Beauty
- Learning to Love God 10 Times a Minute!
- Sign Me Up!
- God Cares More Than We Imagine
- Highlights from Ananda Farm Apprentices at Ananda Village
- Young Adults of Ananda: An Interview with Kamran Matlock
- News of Swami Kriyananda
- Who Was Mary?
- Take Two: Shooting Videos with Swami Kriyananda
- News of Ananda Pune, India
- “The Channel Is Blessed…”
- Swami Kriyananda at the Yoga Festival in Rome
- Launch of Original Autobiography of a Yogi in Italian
- Ananda Kriya Retreat in Massachusetts
- Master, I Love You Alone
- Retreat with Swami Kriyananda at Ananda India, Pune
- Through the Grace of God
- Building Ananda in Mexico
- Thanksgiving Letter from Paramhansa Yogananda
- A Precious Gift
- Swami Kriyananda’s Birthday Celebration in Assisi, Italy
- Crystal Hermitage Gardens Tour
- Ananda India Youth Campout and Retreat
- Ananda Community in India
- Joy Is Within You: Ananda Village Entry Sign
- My Visit to Ananda Village
- A Tale of Three Villages
- Revelations of Christ Book Launch in Rome
- It Was A Dark And Stormy Night
- Ananda’s Spanish Ministry
- Sweet Seclusion
- Treasures Along The Path Talk-of-the-Month Club
- Ananda Solar Technologies
- Japanese Embrace Ananda
- Spirituality in Education
- The Man Behind the Camera
- Back to School: Ananda’s Education for Life System
- The Miracle of Ananda Seattle Temple of Light
- The Miracle of Ananda Sacramento Mandir