Jesus as a Yoga Master
April 13th, 2008
“I wasn’t sent to the West,” Yogananda often told his audiences, “by Christ and the great masters of India to dogmatize you with a new theology. Jesus himself asked Babaji to send someone here to teach you the science of Kriya Yoga, that people might learn how to commune with God directly. I want to help you to attain actual experience of Him, through your daily practice of Kriya Yoga.” – Paramhansa Yogananda
The final marble statue which is of Jesus just arrived last week from India. Our line of masters or gurus is 5 deep (Jesus, Babaji, Lahiri Mahasaya, Swami Yukteswar and Paramhansa Yogananda) and Jesus holds pole position as you can see from Yogananda’s comment above. He is viewed by Yogananda devotees worldwide as a great Master of yoga.
Which is the reason we returned to India to commission the same artist in Jaipur, India to hand-carve this statue of Jesus sitting in meditation. He is sitting in lotus posture with hands upturned. The facial features were drawn from a photograph of the Hoffman painting similar to the one which many of your meditation altars. Funds were donated to Ananda Village as our annual community Christmas gift by its members and it just arrived last week.
See previous posts for information on the other statues of the Masters.
Posts from Kent Williams
- Dedication Weekend for Ananda Laurelwood
- Ananda Tucson
- God Reminders in Daily Life
- Vacationing with Spirit
- Live from Ananda Village
- Landmark Event at Ananda Village
- Jesus as a Yoga Master
- Be restful in your heart.
- Seclusion Day 1
- Chapter 3 – Blessing the statues of the Kriya Masters
- Statues of the Masters Chapter 2 – arrival at Ananda Village
- Mowing season is here
- Celebrating the Joyful Arts at Ananda Village
- Swami Kriyananda’s Birthday Party on June 9, 2007
- The Statues – Chapter 1: The Beginning
- Snow at Ananda Village does not deter the mailing
- The New Ananda Seattle Mandir (Temple)
- Swami Shankarananda Visits Ananda Village
- Pizza Night at Master’s Market