How to Start Meditating Daily
March 14th, 2007
–Ananda Minister Haridas Blake, during lunch today
In celebration of making a commitment to deepen my own meditations, I want to share something to help people get started with a solid daily sadhana (spiritual practice).
To learn meditation, check out this simple, yet deep, beginning meditation technique (www.ananda.org).
I started meditating daily nearly four years ago, and in that time I have grown more spiritually than I would have in forty years of not meditating. It’s that profound.
Here are some tips that I’ve found helpful:
- Meditate at the same time every day. This will help build a habit, and eventually you will feel yourself wanting to meditate at those times.
- In connection with the above, meditate in the same place every day. Put a screen around where you meditate, or if possible set aside a room for that purpose. All these things will help build peaceful vibrations that will make meditation easier and more enjoyable.
- Make friends with people who have been meditating for a long time. Ask if you can meditate with them! These things will help to deepen your practice and make it more regular. When you have someone else to meditate, you will be much less likely to flake out!
- There’s a general rule about meditation: the more you meditate, the more you will want to meditate. Try a longer meditation each week. But never meditate to the point of strain or boredom. It should be enjoyable.
- Most importantly, never give up. If you miss a day, just say, “I haven’t yet succeeded.” As long as you keep energy going in the right direction, you can make it.
With even a little bit of meditation, every day, your life will slowly start to change. There is nothing like meditation. There is nothing so enjoyable. It is certainly one of life’s best kept secrets.
Posts from Nabha Cosley
- How I Found My Guru
- Steve Jobs and the Autobiography of a Yogi
- My First Prayer Was About a Cat
- An Open Letter to Myself Before My Move to Ananda Village
- Day by Day
- The Prayer of Discipleship
- It’s Never Too Late
- “I Will” – A Tribute to Nayaswami Maria
- Behind the Scenes of the “Rescuing Yogananda” Website
- The Trip to Los Angeles
- Are We Ready for This?
- My First Three Months of Meditation
- Much More is Needed
- The Joy of Renunciation – What I’m Telling My Family About My Lifetime Monastic Vows
- Why Be Grateful? — Thoughts from Thanksgiving
- Writing Swami Kriyananda’s Website
- No Regrets
- What Makes Something a Success? (The Story of an Ananda-Style Photo Shoot)
- Daily Inspiration
- The Job of the Guru
- Ananda’s Future
- Dramatic Improvisation for Fun and Spiritual Upliftment
- Smoke, Clouds; Moods, Depression; and Freedom
- How Living in Spiritual Community is Changing the Way I See the World
- The Deer of Ananda Village
- My Parents Visit Ananda Village
- Why I Became a Monk
- Every Kriya Can Take Us To God
- Tea with Swami Kriyananda
- Life is Precious
- Paintings from the Joyful Arts Festival
- Prayer Vigil for Swami Kriyananda
- How to Build a Monastery
- The Easiest Way to God
- Traveling Within in India, Part 2: Our Visit to Vanamali Devi
- Traveling Within in India: Our Pilgrimage to Rishikesh, Part 1
- How to Start Meditating Daily
- Sweetness, Sincerity, and Swami Kriyananda
- Meditating in India
- What is Ananda?
- Thanksgiving blessings, and a way to develop gratitude
- Tibetan Buddhists visit the Ananda Meditation Retreat