Menu

Daily Meditator Newsletter

Meditation on AUM
August 17, 2009

The universe is projected from God through vibration…

–Swami Kriyananda

“Why did you make creation?” a saint asked God. “I did so,” He replied, “because I wanted to share My joy.”

Meditation on AUM

God’s nature is bliss, and to share His joy He created us through the Cosmic AUM Vibration. When we commune with AUM, we enter into, and flow with, the stream of God’s love. AUM is Divine Mother existing in the heart of all things. During the Meditation on AUM exercise, try to feel Her blissful presence in everything you see and hear.

AUM not only proceeds from God, it is God.

–Paramhansa Yogananda

The Sun Is the Form of AUM

Look at the sun. See its rays flowing down, warming the nearby hills, and enlivening the trees and flower-covered meadows. Reflect on how all life depends on the sun.

Gaze at a plant and feel how it, and everything else, is nourished and influenced by the great power emanating from our star.

Just as an iceberg is formed of water, so the sun is formed of AUM. “The sun,” Kabir said, “is the most immediate ‘physical’ form of AUM we can experience, for it is really solidified, materialized AUM.”

See the sun as AUM. Think of it as AUM materialized.
Feel its vibratory rays descending from heaven and bringing into manifestation all life around you.

See each bird and flower as AUM solidified. Behind every form, sense AUM’s underlying presence and vibrancy.

Feel and hear all nature proclaiming and singing AUM.

Let Every Sound Remind You of AUM

Even in outward, physical imitations, sounds can be thrilling.

–Swami Kriyananda

Listen intently to the sounds around you: the rushing wind… the roar of a river… the buzzing of a bee… the joyful song of a bird. Commune with each sound you hear. Open yourself completely to it; feel it coming into you. Listen for the sound of AUM within every outer sound.

Watch the wind flow through the trees and grassy fields. See in every trembling leaf and sailing cloud — in every movement — the sacred AUM Vibration.

Try to perceive AUM in everything you do, see, and hear.

Attune to the Cosmic Choir

Observe the ways God, through Cosmic AUM, expresses Himself. Notice how each tree is marvelously unique. Take delight in the countless expressions of AUM you see before you.

Communing with AUM helps us understand and utter the language of all creation. When we unite with AUM, we unite with all existence.

Affirm your oneness with all beings and with God by practicing the following meditation by Swami Kriyananda from his book Awaken to Superconsciousness:

Imagine a choir composed of every atom in the universe, each one an individual, but all of them singing together in blissful harmony.

In your own mind, join that mighty choir, composed of all life.

Determine from today on to sing in harmony with the universe. Don’t impose on the great anthem of life your little wishes for how you want the music to sound.

Unite your notes to that Infinite Sound.

The more you do so, the more deeply you will know yourself to be an expression of the soaring anthem of Infinity.

Whenever you feel anxious or inharmonious, use this meditation to attune yourself with God and all creation. Then you will feel the universe is not against, but with you, in loving unity.

Live in the Consciousness of AUM

You are not a physical body, but a blissful manifestation of AUM.

–Swami Kriyananda

Live in the consciousness of AUM. One who constantly sings AUM during his activities, and with his whole being, makes his life a continuous song of joy.

AUM Booklet and CD/MP3

To inspire greater attunement with the Cosmic Vibration, I am creating an inspirational resource on AUM from the writing of Paramhansa Yogananda, Swami Kriyananda, and other saints. Included in this project will be personal stories from devotees to help make AUM more real to our consciousness.

If you’ve had a deeply inspiring experience of the Cosmic Sound, would you share it with me for possible inclusion in the resource? I realize spiritual blessings are sacred and should not generally be shared with others, so I will keep your experience confidential.

Below is a story a friend recently told me.

The Healing Power of AUM

“When AUM came,” a lady once said to Paramhansa Yogananda, “all my troubles vanished.”

A friend (who I will call “Nancy”) told me recently how her troubles had also vanished in the consciousness of AUM.

Nancy was waiting to make a deposit at her bank, when, suddenly, she found herself in the middle of a robbery. It was a highly stressful situation, and Nancy said she “lost it” emotionally.

After the robbery, Nancy was disappointed in herself for reacting so emotionally. To change this tendency in herself, she began chanting AUM all day long. Whenever there was a tense situation, Nancy would silently and lovingly call on the healing power of AUM to calm herself and others.

AUM is the Great Comforter, and Paramhansa Yogananda said that when you are in the consciousness of AUM, nothing can touch you.

Three years later, Nancy was at her bank, and another robbery occurred. This time it was a much more violent one.

During this bank heist, Nancy was knocked to the floor. But her constant practice of thinking of and chanting AUM kept her calm and centered.

As Nancy began crawling discreetly away from the robbers, a hysterical woman latched on to her and she guided the terrified woman out of sight of the robbers, where they both would be safe.

Later, during an interview with the FBI, Nancy was told that the odds of being involved in two bank robberies were incredibly low. She was the only witness who could give an accurate description of the robbers.

Nancy attributed her calmness to her practice of tuning in to the unifying presence of AUM.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

14 Responses

1. Rick Bonin says:

I will work with these ideas for a few days and email any comments. What a great week we had for SRW!
    Joy,
    Rick

2. Sue Chadwick says:

It’s was a very simple occurence of recognizing AUM in all things …… during a quiet time of our Ananda Sunday Service, the beads on a shawl I was wearing got caught in the strings of a nearby guitar. As the shawl beads were freed from entwinement of the guitar string, a beautiful sound of the plucked string resounded …… instinctively, everyone together chanted AUMMMMMMMMMMM !

Thank you for a beautiful, inspiring newsletter!

3. Andrea says:

I put my attention on AUM when I pick up my kids from school. I park my car and watch my breath as I walk onto the school grounds. All is quiet before the final bell. A few parents bask in the sun on benches, others are in small groups chatting, the tall trees are framed with the suns aura encircling the big open playground. The crows fly and squawk. Then suddenly the final bell shrieks and then echos into a resounding AUM. The sound blends directly into the screaming of joyful children free to run to the open playground. The wind blows and the children seem to be like leaves blowing in same direction of the gusts of wind. My children find me running open armed into my heart. We humm in a moment of timeless AUM in our embrace. It ends quickly then they start chatting about their day as we return to the car.

4. Dambara says:

Wonderful, Bharat, thanks! We’re looking forward to your class “How to Deepen Your Experience of AUM” here in PA on October 3.

5. Marion Crew says:

As a retired Nurse/Midwife I have had the joy of being present at the birthing of thousands of precious images of new life in the form of God’s creative wonder we know as ‘babies’ . For me, there is nothing more sacred, unique and uplifting than the sound of each baby’s cry……the sound of AUM. The miracle of a new life is prayefully sounded in a split second and resonates with the world changing it forever. The gift of AUM, also touches all blessed to be present and for me adds another smile of awe and gratitude within my heart.
    Thank you for the opprtunity to share the presence of God as AUM and in my life.

6. Vlad borovac says:

This is so true and as i was cleansing myself this morning chanting songs of Gobinda i could feel the Vibratory field of my body humming Aum and it is so Beautifull to live in this presence .. It is all and everything and life is simple like the view of a Child in the essence of the perfumed Flower .. let us be simple and as children , playfull and filled with Joy and bliss and Love .. transcend this Mind and dwell in the Heart Space to the centre of the King Soul .in the moment , now here always and when not be aware you are not and come baack to AUm .,, the Breathe , the Centre .. All effort to awareness and that practice and all is coming , all is here , just to see with the eyes of our inner Children .. play – Lila .. Chant , and Glow as Bright as the Sun .. Aum Tat Sat .. shanti Shanti shanti

7. Ean McClane says:

After two weeks at the Expanding Light ending with Spiritual Renewal Week I returned to my job in downtown Portland with an opened and joyful heart filled with gratitude and devotion. As I walked a few blocks to find some lunch today I was amazed to notice that all the city noises harmonized into a gigantic AUM. Everything that before looked and sounded disharmonious and irritating now looked and sounded like a great human symphony. Interesting how the whole world changes when I change my consciousness.

8. Kamini Bhasin says:

Thankyou, Bharat for sending such an inspiring letter. From now on I am going to be aware of Aum everywhere. What a beautiful feeling to be in the consciousness of Aum all the time and feel one with Him and His Creation!

9. krishnan says:

while going through the newsletter I feel divine presence everywhere . the mind is purified and illumined with Divine light and peace. Develop divine love and be able to love all alike. The precious Mantra AUM derives from Throat and it is nothing but GOD itself.

10. Vidhya D. says:

What a coincidence that the latest article in the Daily Meditator should be about Aum, just when I was thinking of sharing my experience with you.

I have often heard a continuous ringing/vibrating sound when I go deep in my meditations and have always wondered if what I was hearing was indeed the Cosmic Vibration.

During my visit to the Village, I heard this vibrating sound literally everywhere in Ananda! I heard it really loud in the meditation room in Villa Luce and I even mentioned this to Jagadeesh, who was giving me and two others a tour of the place.

Later when I went to the Lahiri mandir, I heard it there too (and all I had done was to settle down and close my eyes!).

Soon I understood that I had heard it at the Meditation retreat also (where I was staying) and had dismissed it as the sound of crickets! Thereafter I made it a point to listen to it everywhere I went in Ananda and sure enough, it was there.

It felt like Ananda has become the favorite place of retreat for Divine Mother herself! I was moved to tears many many times….

Although I have read so much about Ananda Village, only after this visit I realised what a glorious project this has been. It’s no less than a miracle that such a marvelous community could come into existence despite all the odds.

Words are inadequate to describe how deeply grateful I feel – and I am sure many other devotees also feel the same – towards all the founding members of Ananda who toiled so hard to make it easy for the rest of us.

11. Arvind S. says:

Aum is so peaceful and energatic that Whenever I close my eyes and start chanting, don’t want to stop. It makes me so refreshing that sometime I feel that I got everything.
    When I am with AUM it look like I am connected to something and there is some wire is pulling to upwards.
    My final goal to keep AUM in breath forever.

12. Nuraan says:

AUM is the manifestation of peace and love and this is our true nature..you see love is not an action,it is our very existence and through the chanting of AUM we are reminded of this

13. Candice Lisle says:

The first time I practiced the AUM technique, I was not ready for it. Please take this as a warning, to prepare yourself for the experience. I regret very much that I was terrified when the AUM vibration shook me and my atoms began to dissolve and merge into the stream of AUM. I thought I was going to die or to no longer exist as an individual and I prayed for it to stop. Now I know better, having studied Master’s teachings. I now know that this was normal and part of the process. The next time it happens, I will accept and welcome the experience.

14. Brajraj says:

These are sublime thoughts that echoe the words of upnishads in which the masters listened to the sound of Aum even in the Dogs baying in the nights,something not considered auspicious in popular indian mind.

Nayaswami Bharat