Menu
Home > About Ananda > Inspirations from Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi > "Crowds of Souls" - Building Ananda LA

Inspirations from Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi

“Crowds of Souls” – Building Ananda LA
March 2, 2011

Dear Friend,

This will be the last letter that we write you from Los Angeles for a while, since Swami Kriyananda, his staff, as well as Jyotish and I will be heading back to Ananda Village on March 11. We’ve been here now since August 23 – nearly six and a half months – and it’s been an incredible adventure.

Swamiji had two primary goals in coming to Los Angeles: to bring Master’s love and joy to people, and to develop the two film projects he’s been working on – The Disciple and Yogananda, the Movie.

Swami Kriyananda after a filming session for an upcoming movie

It’s impossible to estimate the sheer number of people whose hearts have been touched through our efforts here: through radio interviews, classes, satsangs, the Oratorio concert, billboards, New Age conferences, book fairs, social gatherings at our ashram, Meditation Groups, online classes, Kriya and Discipleship Initiations, and the pilgrimage to Master’s shrines.

As we look back on all the activities, it’s deeply inspiring for us to think about how much has been done. But more important than the quantity of people is quality. As Master said, “I prefer a soul to a crowd, but I love crowds of souls.” Those people who have deeply connected with Ananda and have committed themselves to this path have been visibly transformed. The magic of Master’s magnetism has changed lives and created a lasting spiritual family.

Cameraman and screenwriter filming Swamiji

The two movie projects are also progressing beautifully. Filming began during the last two weeks of February on The Disciple, a docu-drama based on Swamiji’s life. An international team of Italian and American filmmakers and devotees began filming interviews with Swamiji about his life, his time with Master, and his building Ananda worldwide.

Devi being interviewed for The Disciple

These interviews provide a priceless legacy filled with many stories that most of us haven’t yet heard. Many other people were also interviewed including several who are founding members of Ananda and some who were born and raised in an Ananda community. More interviews will be done in April when the crew comes to Ananda Village to film the community and the 9,000 tulips in full bloom during the “Springtime at Ananda” festival.

A separate film team is working on Yogananda, the Movie a feature film based on our Guru’s life. The director and scriptwriter are fine-tuning the screenplay and hope to show it to Swamiji before he leaves. Once the script is finalized, they’ll start work with a casting agent to find actors for a short “demo” on the film. It’s really thrilling to think of the impact these movies will have.

All of work that’s been started here will continue with the great crew of Ananda LA. Swamiji also plans to return here in June and July for more work on the films.

40 devotees on pilgrimage at Hermitage in Encinitas

Finally, last weekend – February 24-27 – Ananda LA hosted a pilgrimage to Master’s shrines here in Southern California. Despite chilly weather and lots of rain on Friday, 30 devotees visited Forest Lawn Cemetery (where Master’s body is interred), Mt. Washington, and Lake Shrine. On Saturday the weather cleared a bit as 40 of us visited the Hermitage at Encinitas and the beautiful Ananda Encinitas Meditation Center.

For Jyotish and me, it was a very blessed way to say good-bye to Los Angeles for now. As we meditated on the bluff at Encinitas overlooking the Pacific Ocean, one could feel Master’s infinite consciousness as a dramatic play of power and light on the waves stretching to the horizon. It was as though he were saying to us, “My children, seek Me in the vastness of spirit within yourself for I am ever with you.”

We send our love and joy in God to each of you,
Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

28 Responses

1. Louise de Beer says:

Thanks, for sharing this with us–It must be awesome to work together as a group.

2. arni narendran says:

Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi ,
    The Newsletter transmits, such Bliss and Energy that we are able to share the Experience of Swamijis holy presence in Los Angeles. We are all eagerly awaiting the release of the new film on both Paramahmsa Yogananda and Swami Kriyananda.More eager to see Swamiji back in India, as early as possible so that we may share the Love and Light much nearer.
    arni narendran
    Mumbai India.

3. JAGDEEP says:

Most inspiring, satisfying, encouraging to be associated with ANAND SANGH

4. Alene Keenan says:

Dear Jyotish and Devi,

You are so blessed, we are so blessed!

uch love from your log lost student, Alene

5. Martin says:

The picture looks more like Fishguard here in West Wales, than LA.

6. marcie says:

7. Áine says:

Thrilling news. Clearly ‘God’s speed’ is with you all.

8. Yvonne Watson says:

Your letter and seeing Swamijis face brought tears of joy to me.
    It seems to me, also, Master is overjoyed with all that is happening in the world and Los Angeles from Ananda. I am limited these days about traveling even in California. But get to feel Masters Blessings from your newsletters. Thank you, Yvonne from Sacramento

9. Alfreda Weiss says:

This is wonderful news. Crowds of souls are coming. Thank you all for your inspired work and devotion.

10. Sajjana (from Ananda Scotts Valley) says:

Dear Jyotish and Devi,

Thank you so much for the joyous, vigor-infusing information regarding all the different types of incredible work done by the ‘crowds of souls’ in establishing a whole additional dimension of possibility for Master’s teachings to be accessed in southern California. While reading about people’s visible transformations, I recalled how profound my own transformation was during the one-year period that I was part of Ananda’s Palo Alto community back in 1994 – 95. During that time I composed two little Sanskrit verses which I sent to Swamiji, and he graciously sent me a little note of appreciation in return. The verses are:

Sri Paramhansa Yogananda Pranati

setu-srijam dvardham-lokam / yuktopadesham-amritam
    sri krishna-sahaveshisham / yogananda namami tam
    param brahma purushottama / divyamata-pita-sakha
    priya-prabhu tva sarva mam / uktva samadhi-marg darsham

O Master Paramhansa Yogananda,
    you built a bridge uniting both halves of the world
    by uniting the nectarean teachings of Lord Krishna
    with those of the avatar Jesus Christ.
    I respectfully bow in obeisance to you.

“O Supreme Spirit, Uttermost Being,
    Divine Mother, Heavenly Father,
    Friend, and beloved Master —
    my Lord, You are all of these to me.”
    Thus saying, you showed the holy path
    to ecstatic oneness with God.

May Master’s words continue to resound throughout the Creation, penetrating all hearts with the call to awaken to our true nature as the eternally pure undivided omnipresent Spirit.

In Divine Friendship and Service,
    Sajjana

11. Sanjay says:

Great! I often thought how wonderful it would be for there to be a movie on Guruji’s life for all to see as well as one on Swamiji’s life.

Joy

12. Nirmoha says:

Blessings to you all! Thank you so much for your dedicated service!

13. Nancy Cralle says:

What a wonderful pilgrimage. I would’ve loved to have been there. Unfortunately my health does not permit that at the moment. I’ve dreamed of going to Masters shrines.

The movie and docudrama sound so wonderful. I am hoping that Spiritual Cinema will have them available. I can’t wait for them to be released.

Much love to all, Nancy Namaste

14. Rashmi says:

Dear Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi,

May the crowds of souls continue to grow with the grace of God and Guruji.

As always, your description of events is very inspiring. I am so looking forward to the two upcoming movies . Swamiji looks so divinely radiant in the above picture! My heartfelt salutations to him. _/_

With love and joy in God,

Rashmi

15. Jerry Champagne says:

Dear friends, once again I thank you for your comments. I’ve watched Swamiji’s talks, along with your classes and have felt such blessings. Thank you. In Master’s love, Jerry.

16. Krishna Dewey says:

Thank you for this lovely letter. SO much has happened there in LA and so much more will keep rolling after you depart for the Village. This is a blessed time spiritually. Thank you, to Swamiji, you both, and all there in LA for the inspiration for all of us and countless souls in the future.

17. Umeshdutta Sharma says:

I am devotee to Sherdheya Yogiraj Swami Yoganandji and visit the site of ashram at Gurgaon. The discourses of Swami Kriyanandji are very enlightening. I have just gone the letter by reverend Nayaswamis Joytish and Devi. going through this letter I enjoyed the transcendent bliss. I hardly can explain my feelings and I bow down to the master’s feet through You. Regards umesh.

18. Steve Navisky says:

The blessings of Master;s work and teachings and his life as a movie. Who’d a thunk it.? Thank you all and bless you dear fellow gurubhais for the energy and committment to make the Los Angeles work start and continue. Thank you Swamiji for your example of discipleship and devotion and the deep vision and energy you brought to bear to make the work succeed. Joya, Joya, Joya, siempre nova joia . In Divine Friendship, Steve

19. Paul Whitby says:

What a beautriful undertaking. The films will be priceless for historical records alone.

20. Cheryl Fansler says:

Dear Jyotish and Devi,

To those of us on the outskirts of your presence, it is food and drink for our souls to hear all the news from Ananda Sangha.

Thank you and may God’s choicest blessings be with you in all of your endeavors!

Cheryl

21. Kate Jack says:

How lovely for all! Thank you, Devi, for your supportive, loving conversation with me after a Raja class months ago…. I am close to “quitting time” on my job, and sad that I have barely been able to keep going these past months…I would have enjoyed spending more time with you all!!
    When in April is it good to visit the Village? It will take a miracle for me to afford a short driving trip, but, hey, who knows?!?!?!
    Love to you all!
    :+)

22. Naywaswami Rambhakta says:

Wonderful letter. It’s about time someone made movies about this important work, and who better to lead the effort than Master’s spiritual son Swami Kriyananda. Let’s pray it introduces millions to Master’s path of the heart, and to the scientific roots of all religion in Sanaatan Dharma!

23. Harriet Manning says:

This is so joyful & exciting news. Master & Swami have already touched so many lives, its wonderful to be able to share with so many more.

24. willie says:

thanks for putting the foundation down here in Los Angeles area.

25. sharon says:

As i watch the ongoing commentaries on the Essence of the Bhagavad Gita, i think how very Wonderful! This kind of guidance is priceless.. immeasurable treasure.
    I wish there could be such commentaries on the bible verses that are featured in Revelations of Christ. I know Swamiji is so busy with movies etc., but to see him present in body and spirit explaining these things so intimately and lovingly is really something. Christians all around the world could be so propelled toward enlightened with this.
    Jai Guru

26. Brahmachari Nabha says:

Sharon, you’re in luck: Swami Kriyananda recorded a number of videos about Revelations of Christ. It’s not exactly what you were thinking, but you will probably enjoy them nonetheless!

You can find them on the Audio and Video of Talks by Swami Kriyananda page; they may move to another page later, but for now, scroll down and look for Questions and Answers on Revelations of Christ.

Joy to you,
    Nabha

27. Mike Brockman says:

Gosh! It is so good to see all the Ananda faces and the joy streaming forth. Thank you.
    Your friend,
    Mike Brockman

28. Deepak urmaliya says:

I would like to thanks for all valuable information which u are a provoiding us…this is d right way of how to feel the and how to get the blesshing from swami yogananda… yogananda…….

Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi