Stories of Swamiji

In humility and with a desire to remove his ego from the picture, Swamiji always understated himself and what he did. I knew him for almost forty years and I never saw him try to draw people to himself.

Growing Up Ananda: How a Bunch of Hippies Got it Right

I was born and raised in a spiritual intentional community. To answer your first question, yes, I loved it. If you google “intentional community” and try to find a glowing testimonial from a child raised in one, you’ll most likely find none. I certainly haven’t. Every article I’ve ever read has been from someone who is coming to grips with … Read More

Paramhansa Yogananda’s Mission

“If you could point to a single greatest accomplishment in your life, what would that be?” Swami Kriyananda talks about Yogananda’s mission, his own role in helping to fulfill that mission, and shares advice for how to face any obstacle in life and still come out on top.

A New Year’s Message from Paramhansa Yogananda, January 1950

Resolve, this coming year, to appreciate the value of time. For how is it possible to solve all the mysteries of the Soul in one short life span unless we make the most of each year? Very few know how much can be accomplished when each day is used wisely and economically. Without realizing the value of immortal time, which … Read More

Happy New Year

Happy New Year, everyone. Nayaswami Jyotish: This coming year could be very momentous for the world, for Ananda, and for each of us individually. It is going to be a very important year with many changes happening. This morning I read a letter from 1950 by Paramhansa Yogananda. He urges us to make better use of the time we are … Read More

Christmas at Ananda

As spiritual seekers we know how important the blessings of Christmas are to help us deepen our devotion and expand our inner life. During this time of year, the weather turns colder (in the Northern Hemisphere at least) and animals and humans alike tend to stay home and look for comfort and quiet peace.

The presence of masters and saints can be felt more tangibly during this sacred time when we celebrate the birth of Christ and the birth of Christ Consciousness in our own hearts. If you’re looking to connect more deeply with Ananda or just don’t have any nearby spiritual Christmas activities that resonate with you, here are a few ways you can celebrate the holiday season with us online or in person.

Thanksgiving Letter 1994

Dear Friends: Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. For those of you who live outside the United States of America, Thanksgiving Day started centuries ago, after the Pilgrim Fathers’ first year on this continent. Tradition sanctions this as a day when Americans everywhere thank God for all His blessings. We too, at Ananda, have so many blessings for which to thank Him: … Read More