Paramhansa Yogananda’s arrival in Boston in 1920 marked the beginning of a new wave of spiritual consciousness in America and throughout the world.
His mission was one of world peace and brotherhood, as well as individual Self-realization, both of which he said could be achieved through the practice of transformative meditation techniques such as Kriya Yoga, which he referred to as “the airplane route to God.”
When he published his now famous Autobiography of a Yogi in 1946, it was soon after the close of the second World War, a conflict which he prayed would never be repeated. The book had tremendous influence and inspired spiritual leaders in the growing counter-culture movement which blossomed over a decade later.
Through his books, teachings, and practices of meditation and yoga, Yogananda helped to usher in the sweeping increase in interest in peace, consciousness, and self-transformation. For this he is often known today as the “father of yoga in the West.”
Now, as we honor the 100th anniversary of his arrival in Boston — and the birth of his world mission — we celebrate the change of consciousness that began in the 20th century and continues today. In it lies one of our greatest hopes for the future.
May 19, 3 – 7pm at Rancho Cordova City Hall
Prospect Park Dr, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
All are welcome for this FREE Celebration of Yogananda’s Arrival in America 100 Years Ago. Featuring Ananda Worldwide Spiritual Directors Jyotish & Devi, and Author Philip Goldberg.
All Events in 2020
- January 5: Yogananda’s birthday
- February 22: Ananda Dallas Yogananda Fest Celebration and Open House
- March 7: Yogananda’s Mahasamadhi (conscious exit from the body)
LA Yogananda Fest (with pilgrimage earlier in the week)
- April 19: Festival della Gioia in Busto Arsizio, Italy
- May 16: Ananda Sacramento’s Yogananda 100 Commemoration
- May 16 – 17: Festival della Gioia in Napoli, Italy
- June 6: Ananda Washington Yogananda Fest
- June 21: International Day of Yoga; Festival della Gioia in Catania, Italy
- June 28: Spiritual Renewal Week at Ananda Village in California, celebrating Yogananda 100
- July 17: Ananda Portland Yogananda Fest
- August 2: Celebrate Yogananda with Ananda Palo Alto
- August 14 – 16: Yogananda 100 celebration at Ananda Assisi with Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi — with a course from August 16 – 21
- September 10 – 13: Kriyaban Retreat
- September 18 – 20: Paramhansa Yogananda in America: 100 Years celebration in Boston
- September 19: The 100th anniversary of Paramhansa Yogananda arriving in Boston
- September 20: Festival della Gioia in Rome
- September 27: Festival della Gioia in Milano
- September (dates TBA): The Answer showing and Festival della Gioia events in Germany, Holland, and Russia — including possibly Spain, Belgrade, and Serbia
- October 4: Festival della Gioia in Milano
- December 1: 74th anniversary of first edition publication of Autobiography of a Yogi
- December 6: World Brotherhood Day at Ananda Village