Prayer Vigil for Swami Kriyananda
May 31st, 2007
The reason behind these has been Swami Kriyananda’s health, which is affected by traveling – and he’s been doing a fair amount of traveling, to give talks and spend time with devotees in Italy and, very soon, in America.
Nothing is life-threatening, but he has to go through a lot of tapasya, or sacrifice, simply to make any public appearance.
The vigil will last nearly 100 hours in all, continuing until June 2nd, when Swamiji is scheduled to arrive in America. During this time, Ananda Village residents are taking one-hour shifts, praying for his health and sending him love.*
I participated in the vigil yesterday for an hour and a half, with more time scheduled tomorrow. It was a joy. Like a flame, which, kept burning, can heat up an entire building, a vigil draws to the object of its prayers an intense spiritual fire. We’re doing this to help bring God’s light to Swami Kriyananda, but I feel it is also blessing us, deeply.
It is an honor to pray for someone so selfless. He is always giving, simply by his presence and friendship – and his gift to all of us, right now, is the opportunity to pray for him.
The vigil is held at the Crystal Hermitage, left, near Swami Kriyananda’s house at Ananda Village.
* We use the healing prayer techniques taught by Yogananda.
Posts from Nabha Cosley
- How I Found My Guru
- Steve Jobs and the Autobiography of a Yogi
- My First Prayer Was About a Cat
- An Open Letter to Myself Before My Move to Ananda Village
- Day by Day
- The Prayer of Discipleship
- It’s Never Too Late
- “I Will” – A Tribute to Nayaswami Maria
- Behind the Scenes of the “Rescuing Yogananda” Website
- The Trip to Los Angeles
- Are We Ready for This?
- My First Three Months of Meditation
- Much More is Needed
- The Joy of Renunciation – What I’m Telling My Family About My Lifetime Monastic Vows
- Why Be Grateful? — Thoughts from Thanksgiving
- Writing Swami Kriyananda’s Website
- No Regrets
- What Makes Something a Success? (The Story of an Ananda-Style Photo Shoot)
- Daily Inspiration
- The Job of the Guru
- Ananda’s Future
- Dramatic Improvisation for Fun and Spiritual Upliftment
- Smoke, Clouds; Moods, Depression; and Freedom
- How Living in Spiritual Community is Changing the Way I See the World
- The Deer of Ananda Village
- My Parents Visit Ananda Village
- Why I Became a Monk
- Every Kriya Can Take Us To God
- Tea with Swami Kriyananda
- Life is Precious
- Paintings from the Joyful Arts Festival
- Prayer Vigil for Swami Kriyananda
- How to Build a Monastery
- The Easiest Way to God
- Traveling Within in India, Part 2: Our Visit to Vanamali Devi
- Traveling Within in India: Our Pilgrimage to Rishikesh, Part 1
- How to Start Meditating Daily
- Sweetness, Sincerity, and Swami Kriyananda
- Meditating in India
- What is Ananda?
- Thanksgiving blessings, and a way to develop gratitude
- Tibetan Buddhists visit the Ananda Meditation Retreat