What Is a Tithe?
A tithe is a percentage of your income given specifically to the source of your spiritual inspiration. The custom of tithing is a hallmark of many faiths.
Tithing spiritualizes your attitude toward money, just as service and volunteering spiritualize your attitude toward work. Both are important aspects of your spiritual growth, however they each have a unique spiritual purpose.
The underlying principle is that everything in life comes from God — health, energy, the ability to serve, and all income. Tithing is an act of faith that reminds us that God knows exactly what we need, and that He will provide. It reminds us that we don’t own anything– everything belongs to God– we are only managers or caretakers of what He gives us. To acknowledge and honor God as the Supreme Giver, the tither gives back to the true Source.
Spiritual Benefits of Tithing
- Develops greater faith in God as the source of your abundance.
- Gratitude opens your heart and is the secret to a happy life.
- Brings more joy as you see that He will take care of you, if you allow Him to enter your finances.
- Affirms that you are part of something much bigger than your little self. The more you think of others, the more your consciousness expands and the more you grow spiritually.
- Purifies your heart.
- God’s joy is felt as a tangible experience.
- Reverses the contractive feeling that can disturb the heart around money.
- Bestows spiritual power to attract what you need at the time you need it.
Be consistent in your giving. Whenever money comes to you, a tithe of it is immediately shared with God. Since God has no checking account, the tithe is given to the source of your spiritual inspiration — in this case, Ananda. If you wait to see IF you have enough left over at the end of the month, you may not. But when you offer your tithe first, somehow God makes sure that you don’t come up short.
Tithing enhances your relationship with God, helping to deepen your connection and build your faith.
How Do I Begin?
Start with a prayer. Express your gratitude for all that you have been given in this life. Ask the Divine to inspire and bless you throughout the tithing process. Determine the percentage you would like to give, choose your giving method, and then give.
Offer your gift with a grateful heart.
Make every tithing check or debit the most important financial action of the month. In truth, your tithe, though not perhaps the largest gift you make, is the most important for you spiritually.
Here is additional information and inspiration on the spiritual practice of Tithing.
We invite you to try tithing today and see how God blesses your life.