Paramhansa Yogananda’s arrival in Boston in 1920 marked the beginning of a new wave of spiritual consciousness in America and throughout the world.
His mission was one of world peace and brotherhood, as well as individual Self-realization, both of which he said could be achieved through the practice of transformative meditation techniques such as Kriya Yoga, which he referred to as “the airplane route to God.”
When he published his now famous Autobiography of a Yogi in 1946, it was soon after the close of the second World War, a conflict which he prayed would never be repeated. The book had tremendous influence and inspired spiritual leaders in the growing counter-culture movement which blossomed over a decade later.
Through his books, teachings, and practices of meditation and yoga, Yogananda helped to usher in the sweeping increase in interest in peace, consciousness, and self-transformation. For this he is often known today as the “father of yoga in the West.”
Now, as we honor the 100th anniversary of his arrival in Boston — and the birth of his world mission — we celebrate the change of consciousness that began in the 20th century and continues today. In it lies one of our greatest hopes for the future.
On September 19, 2020
Paramhansa Yogananda: Centennial Celebration with Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi
Free Event on Saturday, September 19, 2020, 7:00 – 9:00 PM PDT
Join us for Jyotish and Devi’s Celebration of Paramhansa Yogananda’s Coming to American in this free live, broadcast from the iconic Temple of Light at Ananda Village.Watch the live broadcast
Yogananda Centennial Event Boston
Celebrating Paramhansa Yogananda's Arrival to the U.S. in Boston, Massachusetts — 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm, PDT
This virtual retreat will take you through the most important landmarks of Yogananda’s time in Boston, as he built his work in the US from the ground up, such as Trinity Church, the Boston Library, Copley Plaza Hotel, South Church, Symphony Hall, and more.
Suggestion donation: $20Learn more and sign up
More Events from Around the World
All Events in 2020
Event dates and information may have changed — make sure to check with the appropriate Ananda group to learn more.
- January 5: Yogananda’s birthday
- February 22: Ananda Dallas Yogananda Fest Celebration and Open House
- March 7: Yogananda’s Mahasamadhi (conscious exit from the body)
LA Yogananda Fest (with pilgrimage earlier in the week)
- April 19: Festival della Gioia in Busto Arsizio, Italy
- May 16: Ananda Sacramento’s Yogananda 100 Commemoration
- May 16–17: Festival della Gioia in Napoli, Italy
- June 6: Ananda Washington Yogananda Fest
- June 21: International Day of Yoga; Festival della Gioia in Catania, Italy
- June 29–July 5: Spiritual Renewal Week at Ananda Village in California, celebrating Yogananda 100
- July 17: Ananda Portland Yogananda Fest
- August 1: Celebrate Yogananda with Ananda Palo Alto
- August 14–16: Yogananda 100 celebration at Ananda Assisi with Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi — with a course from August 16–21
- September 19: The 100th anniversary of Paramhansa Yogananda arriving in Boston
7:00 pm PDT — Centennial Celebration with Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi
12:00 pm PDT — Paramhansa Yogananda in America: 100 Years celebration in Boston
20:30 CEST — Ananda Europa Event: Yogananda Lives
11:00 am PDT — Yogananda 100 Year Anniversary from Ananda Washington
- October 4: Festival della Gioia in Milano
- December 1: 74th anniversary of first edition publication of Autobiography of a Yogi
- December 6: World Brotherhood Day at Ananda Village