Paramhansa Yogananda’s arrival in Boston in 1920 marked the beginning of a new wave of spiritual consciousness in America and throughout the world.
His mission was one of world peace and brotherhood, as well as individual Self-realization, both of which he said could be achieved through the practice of transformative meditation techniques such as Kriya Yoga, which he referred to as “the airplane route to God.”
When he published his now famous Autobiography of a Yogi in 1946, it was soon after the close of the second World War, a conflict which he prayed would never be repeated. The book had tremendous influence and inspired spiritual leaders in the growing counter-culture movement which blossomed over a decade later.
Through his books, teachings, and practices of meditation and yoga, Yogananda helped to usher in the sweeping increase in interest in peace, consciousness, and self-transformation. For this he is often known today as the “father of yoga in the West.”
Now, as we honor the 100th anniversary of his arrival in Boston — and the birth of his world mission — we celebrate the change of consciousness that began in the 20th century and continues today. In it lies one of our greatest hopes for the future.
Coming Up on March 7
Yogananda Fest in Los Angeles
Awakening Kindness, Compassion, and Mercy
Attend this celebration of 100 years of meditation, yoga, and spiritual awakening with free classes, workshops, and performances.
Join online or in person!Learn more
All Events in 2020
- January 5: Yogananda’s birthday
- March 7: Yogananda’s Mahasamadhi (conscious exit from the body)
LA Yogananda Fest (with pilgrimage earlier in the week)
- April 19: Festival della Gioia in Busto Arsizio, Italy
- May 16: Ananda Sacramento’s Yogananda 100 Commemoration
- May 16 – 17: Festival della Gioia in Napoli, Italy
- June 6: Seattle Yogananda Fest
- June 21: International Day of Yoga; Festival della Gioia in Catania, Italy
- June 28: Spiritual Renewal Week, celebrating Yogananda 100
- July 17: Portland Yogananda Fest
- August 2: Palo Alto Celebration
- August 14 – 16: Yogananda 100 celebration at Ananda Assisi with Nayaswamis Jyotish and Devi — with a course from August 16 – 21
- September 10 – 13: Kriyaban Retreat
- September 19: Boston Celebration of 100th Anniversary of Yogananda’s Arrival
- September 20: Festival della Gioia in Rome
- September 27: Festival della Gioia in Milano
- September (dates TBA): The Answer showing and Festival della Gioia events in Germany, Holland, and Russia — including possibly Spain, Belgrade, and Serbia
- October 4: Festival della Gioia in Milano
- December 1: 74th anniversary of first edition publication of of Autobiography of a Yogi
- December 6: World Brotherhood Day at Ananda Village