This is a continuation of my blog Prayers for Healing the World of a Viral Crisis. Please revisit that for some ideas for body, mind, and soul on What to Do about Coronavirus (Holistic medicine appraoch for viruses) Now is the time to buy any helpful items you would like to have on hand (such as vitamins and minerals). Preliminary new studies coming in from China and South Korea are hopeful regarding high dose Vitamin C; see the comment field for a quote and reference.
Nothing I write here is intended to be medical advice. It is simply helpful knowledge that I have acquired over time as a mom, grandmother, and lifelong natural health enthusiast. Modern medicine has much to offer in many areas, of course, but very little to offer for healing a virus. Mother Nature, thankfully, supplies a number of possible remedies, many of which have performed well in laboratory tests.
UPDATE – Chloroquine plus zinc is looking very promising, and was used successfully in South Korea and in China, later on in their crisis.
My personal preference since hearing about Covid19 is to treat even minor cold symptoms with some of the remedies, below. Nip it in the bud. Many studies show their effectiveness against some viruses in vitro. Because Covid19 is so new, there are few studies specific to it, outside of High Dose IV vitamin C, and Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc.
- Good for kids: Sambucol is based on a standardized black elderberry extract. They are natural remedies with antiviral properties, especially against different strains of influenza virus. Sambucol was shown to be effective in vitro against 10 strains of the influenza virus. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study, Sambucol reduced the duration of flu symptoms to 3-4 days – Study Fresh, raw ginger – studies here
- Note – Sambucol is most useful in the early stages of this illness – but not recommended if/when the lungs are already reacting. If you are very sick and possibly needing the ER – you need something else… High dose IV C. or Chloroquine (see comments), etc. High dose oral C is helpful – start early.
- Turmeric – Curcumin – antiviral and healing for the lungs. There are many studies about turmeric and curcumin being helpful for many conditions. I include it here because I have asthma and I personally find turmeric tea to be very helpful and soothing to the lungs.
- Oregano Oil – (too HOT for young kids) Research conducted in 2011 found that oregano essential oil can inhibit both human and animal viruses in vitro. More here
- I like Biotics Research ADP oregano oil. Some people double or triple the doses (spreading them out) for a day or two when fighting a viral infection. This method was very helpful to me in fighting a cold. It knocked it way back. I then used a normal dose for a few more days. The researchers advise that it is not a daily supplement, it can be used for up to 3 weeks, then a break is to be taken.
- Raw Virgin Coconut oil is antiviral and kids love it. “…The remarkable cognitive benefits of coconut oil sometimes overshadow its other amazing attribute: the ability to fight viruses. Several research studies have documented how coconut oil actually eradicates viruses such as herpes, AIDS and the flu…” All we know is that it is antiviral in some instances, but Covid19 is new, so there are no specific studies.
- Vitamin C and COVID-19 Coronavirus Some Time-release Vitamin C 2-3 times a day as a preventative. If you do catch a virus much more vitamin C is needed. One study
- “A lack of vitamin C has been long known to increase susceptibility to viruses, and a few studies have shown that vitamin C deficiency is related to the increased risk and severity of influenza infections.”
- IV High Dose Vitamin C – “…China is conducting a clinical trial of 24,000 mg/day of intravenous vitamin C to treat patients with coronavirus and severe respiratory complications….” This is a promising and potentially life-saving protocol for treating viruses.
- Update – (3/26) Some New York City Hospitals are now using IV vitamin C in their covd19 ICUs; hopefully, this will add to the available data and understanding.
- Curing the Incurable – Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases, and Toxins, by Dr. Thomas Levy, MD. Many studies are listed, and also discusses liposomal Vitamin C studies which approach some of the phenomenal results of IV high dose Vitamin C.
- Three Intravenous Vitamin C Research Studies Approved for Treating COVID-19
- Good results are coming in from China and South Korea – see the comments, below.
Masks Last but not least, wear a mask. When I go out, which isn’t often right now, I wear a mask and put a few drops of clear iodine on it for good measure* (see comments). There is a youtube showing how to make a washable mask with a cotton handkerchief and 2 hairbands, which is nice to know if you are on a budget or supplies are low. Long story short, our first line of defense should be to avoid getting a virus, and secondarily, to heal it if we do get one.
Let me know your thoughts and healing ideas in the comments! May you stay healthy and well.
PS – And keep your energy Positive, Energetic and Enthusiastic with the Ananda Superconscious Living Exercises. Enjoy!