I work in a place that has people who influence my old bad habits. But the job pays well and I need to support my family. How can I distance myself so that these tendencies are not activated?
I understand you are trying to put some unhealthy or harmful habits behind you and those you work with still engage in those same diversions and perhaps encourage you to do the same. Your resolve is being tested!
Here are 5 suggestions to help you:
1) Pray often for God’s grace and power to help you stay true to your chosen path of action. Keep in mind where you are going and the steps required to get you there at all times.
2) If it’s appropriate for your situation, go to regular 12 Step meetings to develop yourself in ways to overcome the temptations confronting you.
3) Seek and spend time with people who have similar goals and aspirations as you. Perhaps there is someone right where you work.
4) Seek a position where you won’t have the same unhealthy influences in your environment or at least uplift your current environment as much as possible with uplifting music, art, reminders, and colors.
5) Never give up! Paramhansa Yogananda often said, “A saint is a sinner who never gave up!”
May you consciously expand your success magnetism with deep will power and concentration until you are free.