I was wondering if you could give me some advice about how to increase the love I feel for my partner. He’s a great person and we’re happy together however I feel that I don’t love him enough, and really want to increase the love I feel towards him, but I’m not sure how. I feel like I need to increase my capacity for love. Does Guruji offer any specific ways of doing this? Thanks.
It’s wonderful that you want to deepen your relationship with your partner. Parmahansa Yogananda offers us many tips to increase our love for our partner, in his book, Spiritual Relationships.
Here are a few of his tips from the book:
- The more you meditate with him, the more he will like you.
- By your example, win him. Don’t use force or harsh speech. Try to win him by your ideal life.
- Keep yourself beautiful and well dressed-just as you were when you first met him.
- Teach him only through silence and love. Never speak to him with sarcasm.
- Affirm daily after meditation: “Father, keep me and my husband perfectly united in body, mind, and soul, and in ever increasing happiness by Thy perfect law.”
To love someone close to you is to be able to tune into his soul; to meditate on who he is trying to become. Then make the effort to love and support his soul to become the highest potential that he can become, without nagging, or pushing, but by being supportive, loving, listening to his true needs, and being a friend that he can trust. Experiment with it and see what happens.
You can read other books from Ananda on this topic as well:
- Swami Kriyananda’s Self Expansion Through Marriage (here is a link to a chapter)
- Jyotish Novak’s 30-Day Essentials for Marriage
Blessings to you,