Hi. Can you tell me what the mantra Om Hreeng Kleeng Krishnaya Namaha means? Also sometimes I feel very bad negative energy. How can I reduce this?
—David Cochrane, Ireland
Om Hreeng Kleeng Krishnaya Namaha is a powerful mantra used for protection. Here is what it means, word for word:
OM is the first and most powerful mantra, the primordial sound, the mantra of mantras, the king of mantras. Therefore most mantras start with it, just as Christian end their prayer with Amen. OM and Amen are the same thing, Yogananda taught. It’s the word of God.
Hreeng and Kleeng are so-called bija mantras, meaning “seed sounds” which carry a particular power.
Krishnaya means “to Krishna”.
Namaha means “I bow”.
About your second question: I assume that with the “very bad negative energy” you are referring to external influences, not internal ones. So what can we do in such cases? The first thing is not to be afraid! Fear weakens us. Know that you are stronger than such influences, and if you still quite aren’t, you can certainly learn to become so. The trick is to consciously create a strong protective aura, a powerful magnetism which fends off all outer negative influences. The stronger magnetism wins over the weaker magnetism, Yogananda explained.
Swami Kriyananda in his book Awaken to Superconsciousness explains what we can do to increase our magnetism, and to live in a state of full protection. All the explanations which follow are from his book.
1) If those influences come to you unsolicited, remember: They may have been sent to help you grow stronger in yourself. A hothouse plant grows larger and more luxuriant than its cousins out of doors, exposed as they are to wind, rain, and cold, but it has less stamina. What I am saying about magnetism, then, mustn’t make you cowardly. Take it only as a reminder to be prudent.
2) If you know you are going to be exposed to tamasic vibrations, take the time to meditate beforehand. Then harmonize the vibrations of your heart. Next, consciously emanate peaceful vibrations outward from your heart center to your environment. For human energy has two modes of expression; one of them is giving, the other, receiving or absorbing. If you can consciously enter the giving mode, you will find yourself much less affected by outside influences, whether good or bad. (For this reason it is wise also, as much as possible, to sleep and eat in a harmonious environment. For at such times, your energy is in the absorbing, or receiving, mode.)
3) Mentally chant, according to the sincere call of your heart: for example, “I am Thine. Be Thou mine,” or, less personally, “I am light. I am love. I am a fountain of unending peace!”
4) Send the heart’s energy upward to the point between the eyebrows. Feel yourself surrounded and embraced by the divine light.
5) In the privacy of your meditation room, place your arms down at your side. Then, mentally chanting AUM, bring them upward, straight out to the side, with your palms up, until you join the palms high above the head. Mentally create an aura of upward-moving light around your body.
6) Extend your arms before you, your palms touching. Then move them out and around your body in a broad circle until the palms or fingers touch once again behind your back. Mentally, while repeating this process, chant, “AUM-TAT-SAT.” (The as in TAT-SAT are pronounced short, with an “uh” sound: “TUT-SUT.”) Repeat this process at least three times. After you’ve finished it, feel yourself surrounded by that protective vibration.
7) Try not to look into the eyes of, or shake hands with, people whose vibrations are negative. This avoidance may prove a little socially awkward at times so I don’t insist on it, but I should state that these are two of the strongest ways by which magnetism is exchanged between people. (This is one little-known reason for the palms-folded greeting, the namaskar, which Indians customarily use in place of the handshake.)
8) When you find that you must enter a disharmonious environment, keep a spiritual “bodyguard” with you: someone who is on the same spiritual wavelength as you, to help keep your magnetism strong.
9) If you feel yourself under psychic attack from anyone, use your thumb to place a cross of blue light mentally on the attacker. Do it with sufficient will power, and harmful energy will be unable to reach you, but will return to its sender. Direct good energy along with the blocking energy, that your attacker be cured of his anger. A mantra to repeat in such circumstances is “AUM hreeng kleeng Krishnaya namaha.” (The first a in Krishnaya is pronounced as in our “ah.” The other as are pronounced as in “uh.”)
Good company, as I said, is extremely important on the spiritual path. Seek out the company of others of like mind. Mix with them lovingly. If you know someone whose spiritual magnetism is particularly strong, spend time with that person. If outward good company is not available, keep good company mentally.
One of the best ways of surrounding yourself with good vibrations is to listen to uplifting music.
Most important of all, try to keep the company of saints. They will help you, even from a distance, by their subtle magnetic influence. If you know no such people, read their lives; visit places where they have lived; mix with those who knew them. If possible, listen to recordings of their voices.
Be conscious, above all, of your own developing magnetism. Feel it surrounding you as you walk, flowing through you as you converse with others. Expand it to the people in your vicinity; include them in your aura.
The more you act as a channel of blessing to others, the more you yourself will be blessed. Your magnetism will be enhanced, and your efforts to reach God greatly accelerated.
All the best in your efforts to create a strong magnetism, full of light!