Good morning. I’m here because as a disciple i’m doing a very big spiritual fight against "sexual" needs. Following the teachings of our Guru, I’m doing practices and meditation every times the mind start to think about it (not too often, fortunately) and I can "control" it, feeling so happy and near to the Guru. The problem is about the physical needs. My body start to don’t feel well, disturbing meditation and daily life. There is a practice that can help for it? thanks you so much
The process of transmuting sexual energy is a complex one because so profoundly part of the human psyche, and influenced by age, gender, health, diet, culture and environment. For purposes of my response, I will assume you are young and unmarried and not in an intimate relationship.
Speaking directly to your question, however, of physical sexual impulses and needs, our gurus recommend being careful and conscious around diet, exercise, entertainment we view, and the people we associate with. Let me begin with a list of simple things to consider:
1. Diet: eat fresh fruits and vegetables; drink clear and pure water; and avoid or minimize fried foods, processed foods, white bread, white flour, white sugar, and caffeine. Ground almonds, added to juice, or eaten / chewed whole, are considered helpful. Stimulating hot and spicy foods, too much garlic or onion, or radishes may stimulate the sex nerves. Grapes are good for devotion, but wine and alcohol in general are sexual stimulants. (Wine may be difficult to avoid in Italy, but more Italians are reducing or eliminating alcohol from their diet these days. If it can’t be avoided, moderation is a must.)
2. Vigorous exercise on a regular basis is very helpful. It should be sustainable and not “crash and burn” exercise. Unfortunately gymnasiums are not always the best place to avoid sexual stimulation but that may not be an issue for you. Running, walking, working out, hiking, and climbing are all good.
3. Is your health generally good? I assume so.
4. In general, whether in your home, at work or school, or out in public it is important to stay centered within and ignore sexually stimulating situations or people. Keep your eyes “to yourself.”
5. TV and movies are filled with sexual imagery. Magazine stands, especially in Europe, have lots of cover pictures. On the Internet, too, one must be careful. If you find your eyes lingering on such imagery or people in public or at work, catch yourself, mentally chant “Aum Guru” (or, as you feel), and turn away.
6. Dress and behave modestly yourself. Avoid casual banter, touching, flirting, or getting close to individuals where you might become stimulated. Yogananda advised monks in his ashram not to have ANY conversation with the nuns or eye contact! Look at such persons through your spiritual eye and look at their spiritual eye when talking. Be impersonal, not intimate or overly personal or friendly in such cases.
7. Lahiri Mahasaya taught a technique of filling a (plastic-type) bag with ice and some water and, while meditating calmly (and NOT when sexually stimulated), hold the bag over the sexual organ. Re-direct the cool energy felt there inward and upward to the spiritual eye with the breath. If during activity you feel sexually stimulated, inhale strongly drawing the energy upward from the sex organ area to the spiritual eye. Or go for a walk, or a run…
8. Engage in artistic, cultural or serviceful activities to re-direct creative energy to a higher level. Do you have an artistic or creative hobby or interest? Do you enjoy helping others? Find ways and find people who are energetic and creative and who serve others without ego. Think of others first. This will help re-direct blocked or frustrated energy.
9. Do you intend to marry? That is of course a different topic but not wholly unrelated. Suppression is not a long term solution (for anything).
10. Sexual energy is God’s creative energy manifesting at that reproductive, sexual level. It has an infinite variety of other ways to express itself. Without it, we would be dull and lifeless. It is sacred and holy. The question is how to channel it. Don’t be afraid of it. Its strength is second only to our impulse to remain alive and survive! It is a gift. The opportunity, then, at every stage of life, is how to use this gift for spiritual awakening and service.
Well, consider these points and we can “talk” again if you like.